NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Albino Eye Color
Name: Lisa
Grade:  Other
Location: WI
Date: September 2005

Question:
I just read an aticle in my local paper that states a true albino white-tailed deer has blue eyes. I was always told that they were only true ablinos if they had red or pink eyes. Could you please tell me which make them a true albino deer?

A true albino has pink eyes because, since there is no pigment in the iris, all you see is the blood is the eye. If the animal has blue eyes, it means that a small amount of melanin is being pproduce in the iris.

Ron Baker, Ph.D