NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Blood Agar Usage
Name: Ashley
Grade:  6-8
Location: TN
Date: April 2006

Question:
I have a supply of blood agar. Is this agar Ok in growing common bacteria?

It is mostly designed to grow animal disease causing germs. I don't suggest you use it without a scientist's supervision.

Pf

Be careful when using blood agar. Most bacteria that cause disease grow very well on blood agar. If you decide to use it, I would tape the lid to the plate and observe it through the lid. Use 10% bleach on your work surfaces before and after you work and soak the plates in bleach before you dispose of them. Wash your hands before and after you work with them.

Ashley,

As a former middle school teacher and a college level biology instructor, I really think you should not pursue this project. Blood agar will grow some very nasty bacteria and unless you are in a microbiology lab and understand the necessary procedures to maintain a safe environment, I am concerned for your health. Furthermore, if you do proceed, what about disposal? An autoclave is necessary to assure safe disposal of bacteria growth.

Reconsider this proposal.