NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Surrogate Mother Donors
Name: Brooke
Grade:  Other
Location: OR
Date: May 2006

Question:
I was reading about mitochondrial DNA, and thinking of something a doctor said, which is that surrogate mothers could probably donate an organ to the baby they carried (who did not come from their own egg), and the baby would not reject the organ. Is this true? If so, is it because of mitochondrial DNA or something else?

I don't believe it is true. Also, the compatibility of tissues is not to my knowledge carried on the mitochondrial chromosome. A human chromosome in containing the "major histocompatibility complex" is chromosome #6 as I recall. Why this would not come into play in a surrogate situation is beyond me...but many times I have been surprised by human genetics.

pf

It is not true that a surrogate mother would be able to donate an organ to the child she carried. Remember that the child's mitochondrial DNA is inherited from the biological mother's ovum.

Ron Baker, Ph.D.

My inclination is that no, the surrogate mother is just an "incubator" and doesn't contribute any DNA to the baby.