NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Fusobacterium Nucletatum
Name: Susan
Grade:  9-12
Location: PA
Date: June 2006

Question:
Can you tell me about Fusobacterium Nucletatum. I was told this is some type of fungal bacteria that my father has contracted and is very rare.

If I remember correctly, it isn't a "fungal bacteria" because these are two different things. But Fusobacterium is an anaerobic bacteria (grows without air) and is usually associated with oral infections, or infections of the mouth. It is one of the organisms that causes a disease called "trench mouth".

If you google the name of the organism, you will find lots of information.