NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Testing for Amino Acids on Meteorites
Name: Andrew
Grade:  6-8
Location: IL
Date: November 2007

Question:
I am doing a science fair project based on the question"are there amino acids on a meteorite?" I have all my research done, except that I have the small problem of finding out how to test for the amino acids on the meteorite. So, my question is, "How would I test for amino acids on a meteorite?"

You would have employ a method that can distinguish between D and L forms of amino acids because if you detected L form amino acids you would not be able to rule out contamination of your test samples with amino acids formed on Earth. You will have to have access to an amino acid analyzer. Google Murchison meteorite to research the method of amino acid analysis that was used.

Ron Baker, Ph.D.