NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Induce Host Cellular Responses
Name: Michelle
Grade:  Other
Date: January 2008

Question:
What is "induce host cellular responses"?

Induced Cell response:

Basic concept is that cells receive and external stimulus . This can be by way of chemical, biological, and or physical forces ie. temp and other forms of radiation..

The cell will respond in response and may or may not actually pass on information during cell division as to how or how not to respond to the outside stimulus, or we may see that particular cell under go cell death.

Prof. H. Przekop, Bio-Med. Physicist

I'm not sure exactly about the context you're talking about, but it sounds like a genetic modification question. When a natural thing like a virus, or a synthetic think like a gene delivery device, is used to modify a cell, the goal is to get the cell to change in some way, such as to incorporate some new DNA into it. The cell you are changing, e.g. the cell that takes up the virus, is called the host cell. The virus is trying to get the cell to make new viruses. This is called a host cell response. To induce a host cell response is to somehow trick/coerce/convince the cell to do what you want. Thus, you are trying to induce host cell response(s).

I hope this is the context you're talking about – if not, reply back and I can try to help again.

Burr