NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bar Soap Bacteria
Name: Jodi
Grade:  Other
Location: SC
Date: August 2008

Question:
What is the name of the bacteria that grows on bar soap? Is there a specific type?

While physical contact with bar soap "theoretically" is greater than liquid soap from a dispenser (except for the fact that hands come into contact with the pump mechanism for liquid soaps) I know of no evidence that bacteria of any sort "grow" on bar soap -- at least from my web search on those and related search terms. Without appropriate controlled "double blind" experiments showing to the contrary, my challenge is that there is no significant risk. If liquid soap manufacturers have data to the contrary, it is their responsibility to present their data to peer reviewed literature for examination.