NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Microorganisms and Radioactive Waste Management
Name: Ignia
Grade:  Other
Country: Latvia
Date: August 2008

Question:
Is there any information about microorganism which collects radioactive wastes? Is this research in progress and what is the latest\ news about refining the radioactive elements?

From the standpoint of a physicists, I can say there is perhaps some team looking into this, be it graduaate students or grant reserch. But from my side of the desk keep in mind that raadiation is cumlative at some point even bacteria will not survive if the dose is high enough & or long enough. Lower doses of certain minerals, nuc. elements can collect in specific areas of a living creature man or bacateria. There causing peroxides to form, displacement of DNA/RNA etc.. So the high levels and toxic levels of many materials from reactors and similar ata this point show bacteria as no way of dealing with nuc. waste material at this point.

Hope this helps.

Prof. H Przekop, BioPhysicis