NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne DNA/RNA Isolating

Name: Emmanuel
Grade: n/a
Country: Ghana

Question:
Why rna is isolated with lower ph and salt concentration as compared to that of dna?

Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for the question. RNA does not form a double helix like DNA does. RNA is typically a single strand. Double helix DNA is not as soluble as RNA and therefore precipitates before RNA does. In order to make RNA precipitate, the pH has to be lower and the ionic strength (a fancy name for the salt concentration) has to be greater.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff