NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Fermentation and Bread Making

Name: Malia
Status: n/a
Grade: n/a
Country: Australia

Question:
During bread making, is there only the one process of fermentation occuring or do the processes of glycolosis and combustion occur?

Hi Malia,

Thanks for the question. Glycolysis does occur during the fermentation process. Glycolysis is necessary to produce ATP that the cell requires. Combustion can occur during breadmaking if some crumbs fall onto a hot surface (in the oven) and catch on fire. Combustion of natural gas (or wood) can be used to heat the oven. Otherwise, combustion does not occur in breadmaking.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff