NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Phosphate Properties and Life

Name: Payam
Grade: n/a
Country: Iran

Question:
What properties of Phosphate makes it best to use in DNA, ATP and similar thing in cell?

Hi Payam,

Thanks for the question. Phosphate has a negative charge which makes it have a high solubility. A high solubility is desired for DNA, RNA, and ATP or the molecules will precipitate. Also, phosphate can form two bonds so it can be linked to two other molecules. This linking is necessary to hold together the molecules together.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff