NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cell and Extended Stimuli

Name: Carina
Grade: 12+

Question:
I read somewhere that after cells (inside humans) have been exposed to a certain kind of stimuli for an extended period of time, they start to develop a certain type of receptor that will only respond to that certain kind of chemical. in other words. they no longer respond to different kinds of chemicals, they only respond that certain kind.( I apologize if I'm not fully explaining it accurately) But i was wondering if this sort of occurrence was true. and if so. is there anything that can be done to change cells that have developed this sort of "specialized response"?

Hi Carina,

Thanks for the question. I am unaware of a specific example of a cell that has this ability. I suspect there might be such a cell type in the brain, but I do not know for sure. If such a cell type were to exist, it would be important in the addiction recovery process.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff