NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Single Celled Organisms and Aging

Name: Paul
Location: NC

Question:
Amoebas grow to a certain size and reproduce on and on. Do they get old and reset after each division?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the question. To the best of my knowledge, amoebas as well as other bacteria can divide an infinite number of times, so they can "reset". In practice, the number of divisions may be

limited due to the error rate in DNA duplication.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff