NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Organelle Membranes

Name: Lawrence

Question: May I ask a question about the composition of the contractile vacuoles? My biology textbook (Campbell) doesn't mention this specifically. My cell model project requires me to list the composition of each organelle. Maybe it is not that important, but I think I'd better know it. I do have a hypothesis based on the the previous chapter, which mentions the the composition of plasma membrane. Does the membrane of vacuoles also consist of a bilayer of phospholipids and various proteins?

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for the question. Yes, the membrane of vacuoles does consist of a phospholipid bilayer. There are some proteins also located in the membrane.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff