NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Wire Resistance and Length
Name: Ben

Question:
I'm doing my GCSE (higher level) and was asked to investigate resistance of a wire. the lengths are to be changed but the content of the wire is to stay the same. Are there any formula linked with resistance and length and also are there any experimental methods to be used? Finally any other information linked with this.

Hello,

I think I have responded to another question regarding wire resistance earlier on this site. In any case:

Resistance = Resistivity of wire material x (Length/cross sectional area).

If volume V=LA of the material is constant, the equation above can be written as:

Resistance = Resistivity x (Length/(V/L)) = Resistivity x (L^2/V).

Therefore, resistance is proportional to length squared. To measure the resistance, R, one can apply a known voltage across the resistor, measure the current flow, I, and use Ohm's Law to get R from V=RI.

AK

Dr. Ali Khounsary
Advanced Photon Source
Argonne, IL 60439