NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Marble Dropping
Name: Alyx

Question:
I am doing an ivestigation for my Y9 school assesment and we are investigating the size of crater a marble makes when dropped from a range of heights between 0mm and 500mm. I am managing this well i know that before you drop the marble it has potential gravitational energy which, once dropped, converts into kinetic energy, which once hits the sands transfers in to that:- forming the crater, please could you confirm if this theory is correct and if not give me some advise on what would be correct!?

That is all correct.

Also i need to know, for my intro, where do meteorites come from?

This information should be available in any encyclopedia, and you should be able to find it in any library. How they form in the first place is not entirely clear, as far as I know.

What makes them hit the earth?

What makes your marbles hit the earth?

And how are the craters formed?

How are the craters made by your falling marbles formed?