NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Level Forces
Name: Kristin

Question:
Hello, my name is Kristin. I have two questions for you that I would like you to please answer.

1. Can you give me a definition of UNBALANCED FORCES?
2. Can you give me a definition of BALANCED FORCES?

Balanced forces are forces that add up to zero. If you are being acted on by balanced forces you will not move. For example, if you are "floating" in a swimming hole, the force of gravity pulling you down is "balanced" by the buoyant force the water exerts to lift you up.

If you try to "float" on the air you will find the forces are "unbalanced", that is they don't cancel each other out. The gravitational force exceeds the buoyant force the air exerts to lift you up and you fall.

An airplane flies because the the wings generate lift (an upward force) to counteract gravity. To make the airplane go up the forces must be unbalanced (more lift than gravity). They must also be unbalanced for the plane to descend (more gravity than lift). If the forces are balanced the plane stays at its present altitude and you have a smooth ride.

Greg

Bradburn

Check our archive:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99549.htm

---Nathan A. Unterman