NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Heat Behavior
Name: Luke

Question:
I know that heat rises. But how you make a spiral type thing that twrils from rising heat? Thanks, Luke

Hello,

Actually, heat does not rise. What rises is heated air which is lighter than cold air. This phenomenon is similar to a helium-filled balloon whose density is less than air and rises upon release.

The rise of heated air can be observed if it contains smoke, water moisture, or anything else that distinguishes it against the background. One can shape the rising air by placing a physical guide, a fan, etc. on its path. For example, some smokers can make the cigarette fume swirl out of their mouth by using their tong as the exhale (I am not a smoker and do not advocate smoking). Another example is the complex concurrent flow patterns of hot and cold air (i.e., wind) in the atmosphere which give rise to pretty impressive patterns that at time are visible.

AK