NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Undepleted Uranium
Name:  Adriana
Status:  student
Age:  16

Question:
I have a question and hope that you can anwser it. I am doing a small report on uranium. And every time I do a search on the topic most of the hits that come up have to do with "depleted Uranium" Just what exactly is depleted Uranium?

Natural uranium consists mostly of two isotopes: Uranium-238, which is by far the most abundant, and uranium-235, which is much rarer. Uranium-235 is the isotope that can sustain a chain reaction in a nuclear reactor. Unless very special conditions are employed in a nuclear reactor, there just isn't enough U-235 in natural uranium to use it as fuel. So, it is necessary to process natural uranium to make "enriched" uranium, which has a higher fraction of U-235. The by-product of enrichment is "depleted" uranium, which has a LOWER fraction of U-235 than natural uranium.