NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Solar Panel Angle Calculation
Name: Stephen

Question:
I'm doing an experiment which involves how the change of angle of a solar panel will affect the output it'll produce. The light source is an open 6 Watts light bulb, and a voltmeter will be connected to the solar panel to measure the output. Can you tell me what I can expect if the degree changes? And is there any formulas which I can use to measure the output whilst the change in degree?

There is a formula for the relative intensity of radiation as a function of the angle of incidence A (measured from the panel), so directly overhead corresponds to an angle of incidence = 90 degrees. The relation is just sin(A). However, it is a bit more complicated beause the illuminated area of the panel increases as the angle of incidence decreases. You can find a detailed treatment on the website:

http://www.geog.ouc.bc.ca/physgeog/contents/6i.html