NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Radon
Name: Kristina

Question:
I know radon is harmful and a threat to health, but are there any uses for it? Also, do you know what scientists were involved in the research of it?

Try contacting Commonwealth Edison, they have lots of information about radon, especially now, and should be of help to you.

Good Luck

Katie Page

Noble gases are characterized by their lack of chemical reactivity. However, radon (a noble gas) should be even more reactive than xenon, a noble gas that has been caused to undergo a chemical reaction. Given that radon is radioactive and has a half life of only about 3.82 days, it doesn't hang around long enough to be converted into any kind of chemical compound. Other than the fact that it is a pesky air pollutant, I can't think of any practical use for radon. Perhaps another Newton scientist could add something regarding radon's utility.

ProfHoff