NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Photon Paths
Name:  Jheryd
Status:  student
Age:  13

Question:
My father and I were discussing C (lightspeed), and specifically, the fact that, as we understand physics, nothing (except photons) can travel at C, much less exceed it. Dad also explained that photons, which travel at C, do not exist at speeds below C. My question is: Doesn't a photon a high frequency have to travel a farther distance, (Up and down the crests and troughs of its wave), than a photon moving at a lower frequency? Therefore, would not the photon at a higher frequency have to move faster to travel the same distance at the same time as a photon at lower frequency?

It does not travel in the path of the wave. The wave is the electromagnetic disturbance that is part of the photon.

Nathan A. Unterman