NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Current and the "I"
Name: David

Question:
What does the abbrivation for current (I) stand for?

The symbol is current, the unit is ampere. Which is the rate of electrical charge per unit time, hence Coulomb/second. One electron has a charge of 1.6x 10-19 coulombs. The number of electrons flowing per second is the inverse of the electron charge.

Harold Myron