NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Anti-gravity Machine
Name: Jay

Question:
A friend and I are doing a science experiment on anti-gravity. We are trying to build a small anti-gravity machine for class. I have read that it can be done using electro magnitism or using supercondctor. Is this true? Where can we find instructions on how to build it?

It really is not "anti-gravity" but "levitation". A doughnut shaped magnet is placed on a rod so that the "north pole" is pointing down. At the base of the rod is another magnet, which can be a superconducting magnet, arranged so that its "north pole" is pointing up. The two magnets repel so that the magnetic and gravitational forces are equal and the doughnut shaped magnet "floats".

I believe Edmunds Scientifics has a kit for this experiment.