NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cars and Lightning
Name:  Robyn T.
Status:  educator
Age:  20s

Question:
If you are driving and your car gets hit by lightning will you be electrocuted? Many people say that the rubber tires will ground the charge therefore the "safest place" to be during a storm is in your car. Is this true? Explain!

A car is rather safe in a thunderstorm. However, this is not because the tires ground you, but rather they serve as an insulation - a more difficult path for electrons to run. Lightning will take the path of least electrical resistance. It is likely that that would be a path that didn't require traveling through the tires.

That being said, lightning is very strange stuff and sometimes unpredictable. Even though you see a bolt of lightning, you are actually seeing only the core of the event. The surrounding area is affected as well. I would think it possible to be affected by a bolt of lightning striking a tree outside the car in which you are sitting.

Careful...

What you say about the grounding by wet rubber tires is probably true, I think that the statement is based on the fact that according to Gauss' Law, the electric field inside a hollow conducting shell [of any shape] is zero. So in principle you could even sit safely inside a van de Graff generator charged to a million volts without fear of electrocution or even a shock.

Notwithstanding, I do not think I would choose to test Gauss's Law, there may be some higher order effects!!

Electricity tends to flow through the easiest paths available. Lightning goes from the clouds to the ground. If it hits your car, the easiest path is through the metal framework and then through the water on the tires. Flowing through the air and then through you and the seat is much more difficult. It relates to electric circuits. Imagine two parallel circuits attached to a power supply. Let one have a very small resistance (the framework) and one a very large resistance (air, you, seat). Almost all of the current will flow through the circuit with the very small resistance. This same principle applies to lightning rods.

Kenneth Mellendorf