NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Film Interference
Name:  Emily D.
Status:  student
Age:  7

Question:
Hi, I am trying to learn about why colors show up in spilled gasoline. Is there a web site I can visit to learn more about this? Thanks!

The short answer to your question is that the thickness of the film of gasoline is about the same as the wavelength of visible light, which is about 400 to 700 nanometers. When light passes through films about as thick as their wavelength the rays of light reflect off both the front and back surfaces of the film giving rise to constructive and destructive interference of the light. You see the same color producing effects in bubbles.

As to a website -- I don't know of one off hand, but if you look up "light interference" on a site such as www.britannica.com or www.about.com, or www.google.com you will be flooded with sites at any level of sophistication you wish.