NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Blocking Neutrinos with Sound
Name: Marshall

Question:
I have read a web page on the internet about how this person had a hypothesis about neutrinos being the cause for gravity. http://gravity.ontheinter.net/ And I also read about how sound waves move molecules to produce sound. Now my question is: Can sound waves at the right frequency and amplitude block neutrinos from passing through matter? And if not, why not?

Marshall,

Sound waves could not be used to block neutrinos. Sound waves travel via connections between molecules. One molecule pushes or pulls on a neighbor, which does the same to its neighbors. It is very similar to vibration the end of a slinky. The vibration travels through the slinky as each loop of the slinky pushes and pulls on the next. Since molecules do not interact very readily with neutrinos, The vibrations of the sound waves could not be made to affect the neutrinos.