NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Boiling Point and Altitude
Name:  Jim H.
Status:  educator
Age:  50s

Question:
Water boils at lower temperatures at higher altitudes - a method used in early attempts to survey the Himalaya. I have written a children's book on Everest, to be published later this year and am trying to provide the information about boiling temperatures. Does anyone know the temperatures for boiling water at the following (approx.) levels - 2000m; 4000m; 6000m; 8000m ?

Jim H.

I found that pressure in atmospheres, follow the relation:

p = e^(-ay) where p is pressure in atmospheres, a is 1.16*10^-4 m^-1 and y is altitude in meters.

From my chemistry text, log (Po/P) = (deltaH/W)((1/T)-(1/373)) where Po is sea level pressure (atmospheres), P is pressure, deltaH is 40,700 J/mol, W 19.15 [this is a constant of proportionality from the linearization of a Vapor pressure (atm) vs Temperature graph. Specifically, log p = (-deltaH/19.15*T) + C], T is boiling point desired and 373 is boiling point of water at one atmosphere.

My answers for several altitudes are:
2000 m  93.4 C
4000 m  87.3 C
6000 m  81.3 C
8000 m  75.5 C

I hope this helps!

Nathan A. Unterman