NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bicycles
Name:  Richard A.
Status:  educator
Age:  40s

Question:
The physics of balancing a bicycle moving at speed would seem to involve the effect of spin angular momentum but counter steering at speed seems to involve effect of centripetal acceleration. Can you clarify relative contributions of these effects? I need to answer a student in non mathematical terms who asked me "how do bicycles work?", meaning balance and steering. HELP!!! - He's brainier than me!

Yes -- I went through the same thing and managed (finally) to figure it out!

Angular momentum is negligible. I convinced myself by mounting a weighted bicycle wheel from our lecture hall on my bike. Whether on the front (steerable) part or on the back part, it made no noticeable difference even when spinning rapidly with at least 10 times the angular momentum possible with the real wheels. Incidentally, if it had an effect, it would be in the wrong direction! Turning the wheel to the left when moving forward would cause the bike to lean to the right, as the right hand rule will tell you. (Angular momentum of the wheel is to the left and the torque is up.)

What then? Countersteering, as you mentioned. If you rotate the front wheel to the RIGHT while moving forward, the ground exerts a force to the RIGHT on the front wheel. This causes the bike to lean to the LEFT. If you continue like that, you will fall to the left. To avoid that turn the front wheel to the LEFT just enough so the torque due to the ground now pushing to the LEFT keeps the bike at the proper angle. To stop the turn, turn the front wheel more to the LEFT and the bike will straighten up.

If people do not believe you (as I find is usually the case) and they can ride no-hands, tell them to push the right handlebar forward with the heel of their right hand to turn the front wheel to the left. If they do not cheat terribly, they will find that they have initiated a RIGHT turn! They should be careful, as it is easily possible to oversteer in a way most no-handers don't expect

Incidentally, no-handed turning is similar but more complicated and depends on the fact that on a normal bike leaning the bike to the right causes the front wheel to turn to the right. So to initiate a left turn, lean your upper body to the LEFT. This make your lower body (and the bike body) lean to the RIGHT, causing the front wheel to turn to the RIGHT. This then makes the bike body lean left and see above.

I tested this by moving the front wheel forward so it turned left when the bike was leaned to the right. I can guarantee you that that bike is NOT ridable no-hands!

Unknown

Richard,

What spin angular momentum does is make the bicycle easier to balance. A large part of balancing a bike is remaining in an appropriate position.

All objects "prefer" to keep moving as they are. The wheels are spinning in a vertical orientation, alligned with the path of the bicycle. The faster they spin, the more difficult it is to change them. The bicycle is moving forward. The faster it moves, the harder it is to make the body of the bicycle change direction. A fast-moving bicycle with fast-spinning wheels takes time to cause to change. While riding such a bicycle, as compared to a slow bike, the rider has much more time to make slight adjustments in body position to prevent the bike from falling over.

To turn the bicycle, you turn the handle bars: more difficult when the wheels are spinning faster. Once turned, the front wheel moves to the side. The body of the bike, however, tries to keep going forward. The "natural" thing for the bike to do is fall down as the front wheel pulls out from under it. The rider has to lean toward the inside of the turn to prevent this from happening. If the bike "tries" to flip to the right, The rider leans to the left to counter the effect.

This is how a bicycle works.