NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Magnetic Braking at Amusement Park
Name:  Robert S.

Question:
I have a question regarding a rollercoaster ride that I am sappose to do an experiment on. It is called The Giant Drop. It is located at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, IL. For this rollercoaster you sit in a bucket looking seat. It raises you straight up 227 feet. Then it drops you at 62 mph. The seats of the rollercoaster are stopped by a series of opposing magnet (I think). How would that work? Are there magnets that appose each other that strongly or do you have to add electricity?

Robert-

First of all, you are dropped from rest and attain a maximum velocity of about 28 m/s during the drop.

The braking system works on eddy currents. There are magnets in the passenger car, and copper strips mounted on the tower pass between them causing the braking.

---Nathan A. Unterman