NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Siphon
Name:  Ari R.

Question:
Dear Sir

The Siphon Principle was offered me as a solution to my problem. I have a very small farm, with a water fountain of a stream wire of a inch and half. But this fountain is 28 feet lower than our house and distant some 35 feet. How could I use the Siphon Principle , and which simple devices I should use for it? I need to move the water uphill.

Hi, Ari

I believe, I do not understand quite well your description of the problem. If the water level is lower than the level of your house, than it is impossible to use the siphon principle. Just to figure out this principle, let us suppose you have a tube like the letter "U". Put this tube upside down, and you have something like a "hill". If there was water inside, let us suppose that this water would go out from both "legs", OK ?? Now, suppose you have a tube similar to the letter "J". Put it again upside down. You will get something with the form of an naked umbrella. If this tube was fullfilled with water, you clearly understand that the water will flow through leg more heavier, right ??

If I understand you correctly, your house is NOT the longest leg of this umbrella. And - so - this principle cannot be used in this case.

Alcir Grohmann
Beschaffung SAM

A siphon will only work down hill. The only way to move water up hill is by a pump or buckets.

Michael Baldwin

Sorry, a siphon will not move water uphill. It can move water over a hill as long as the outlet is lower than the inlet and the rise is less than about 32 feet, but that's about it. To move the water up to your house, you will need some sort of pump.

You cannot siphon water uphill. The exit end of the siphon tube must be lower than the surface of the water being siphoned.