NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Convection
Name: Helen P.

Question:
Please can you tell me whether convection only travels in currents (caused by changes in density)? If so how are draughts (through windows and doors) caused by convection?

Convection is the transfer of heat from an object to a fluid, or vise versa. The fluid could be air, water, etc. The fluid has to be moving though.

The difference between convection and conduction is like if you have a hot brick, and you either let it cool in your hands (conduction), or you toss it away (convection).

Hope I did not confuse you more.

-Wil Lam