NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Color Brown
Name: Chris L.

Question:
White is all colors of light mixed, black is none. Colors are individual wavelengths.

I think gray is some absorption and some reflection of all thewavelengths. What is brown?

Why do you mix colors of paint (absorbers) together to get brown instead of gray or black?

In doing a little researching on your inquiry I ran across an absolutely fascinating website having to do with the physics and seeing of colors. There is even an interactive routine to show the effects of trichromatic mixing of colors. You will find the answers to your questions much better than I could do and it is fun to play with the site.

http://www.yorku.ca/eye/color.htm