NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Super String Theory
Name: Chris G.

Question:
In superstring theory when it is mentioned that all particles are made up of a congregation of 1 dimensional strings "vibrating" in different ways to produce these different particles, there is one thing I just do not seem to get. Does this mean that an atom that is made up of strings is always vibrating, and the strings move around with the atom. Or (what I want to believe) are the strings never moving, just transferring their energy to other strings, so the atom moves the same way a picture on a TV screen moves from pixel to powell, from string to string. This was the way I originally perceived it, but most of what I have read has pointed to the former. Just wondering.

The state of cosmology these days is in a total state of arcane flux. See this week's issue of Science News to really get confused!!