NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Sound to Heat
Name: Lalitha C.

Question:
Physics- Pertaining to Noise Temperature... My question is "Can sound be a useful source of heat energy?" Specifically, is there a physical way to concentrate and collect heat produced from different frequencies so it's significant enough to measure on instruments readily available in physics labs? Also, is the noise temp. formula [P= k(Boltzmann constant)T(system temperature)(change in v)=k(T(receiver temp)+ T'a(antenna temperature)], an accurate way to mathematically prove my question?

Sound with frequencies above the hearing threshold (ultrasonic) is used in physical therapy to give "deep heat" treatments to muscles etc. Also ultrasonic frequencies can produce "cavitation" in liquids which cause the liquid to form superheated vapor which then collapses explosively. Under the proper conditions temperatures of thousands of degrees can be achieved for short periods of time and in small volumes.