NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dizziness and Spinning Earth
Name: Abbie D.

Question:
I teach first grade and a student asked, why do people not get dizzy if the Earth is spinning? Could you help to answer this question?

It takes a whole day for the earth to spin around once. That is not fast enough to make you dizzy.

Abbie,

People do not get dizzy when the Earth spins because we only spin around once per day. Have the student consider spinning so slow that a quarter-turn requires six hours. Have them see if it makes them dizzy.

Sure! If you spin around once every 24 hours, I guarantee you that you will not get dizzy. If the earth would spin around once every second or so, you WOULD get dizzy, except that the earth would destroy itself before you had a chance to get dizzy!

Dick Plano