NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Psuedogaussian Noise
Name: Jeremiah B. N.

Question:
What is psuedogaussian noise? I have heard that it is anotherb term for "white" noise.

White noise (in the context of sound) is the presence of sound waves of equal intensity for all frequencies (usually in the audible range from about 15 to 20,000 hertz). I assume that "psuedogaussian" noise is the presence of sound waves whose intensity centers about an average frequency and decreases in intensity in a gaussian distribution. That is: ~ exp(-(nu-nu avg.))^2 where nu is the frequency and nu avg. is the average frequency.