NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Young's Experiment Demo
Name: Paul G.
Age: old
Date: Saturday, May 18, 2002

Question:
Regarding Young's diffraction experiment (double slit): Is there any way a person can participate in or observe an actual performance of Young's twin slit experiment? Are there any summer camps or seminars on physics or science in the USA that offer such opportunities? I am familiar with the nature and principles of the experiment, but would really like to actually observe it in a laboratory setting.

I live in Sarasota, Florida, but would be will to travel to any stateside venue!

You need not leave the comfort of your computer chair to witness Young's experiment. There are several web sites that do the experiment for you. Search the terms: "Young's double slit" on www.google.com and you will find several as well as other links. You might also want to search the topic "Bell's paradox" which is a related topic.