NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne "Rubber Bands" in Quarks
Name: Jacque M.
Date: Monday, June 17, 2002

Question:
I have heard that scientists have seen and been able to identify what looks like bands within quarks. The intense orbiting energy within the quark creates what appears to be rubber bands and were said to be made up of sound waves. Is this true? If so where might I be able to locate articles, journals, etc. It is obvious I do not know enough to ask the question intelligently. Can you help?

You have to be careful not to interpret the names that scientists attach to what are in reality mathematical quantities. Nuclear physicists talk about the "color", "spin", "strangeness", and "strings" that sub-atomic particles possess. They do not mean these terms in the same sense that we use the terms in every-day usage. They refer to mathematical properties, or behavior. While I have not heard of the term "rubber bands" and "sound", the size of subatomic particles and sound meaning the sinusoidal oscillation of atoms and/or molecules cannot refer to the same phenomena.