NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Use of I for Current
Name: Johanna
Date: Thursday, August 22, 2002

Question:
Why is the letter "I" used to represent current in Ohm's law?

I am not aware of any particular significance of the choice of "i" to stand for current in Ohm's Law. Scientists choose symbols that may or may not have any "extrinsic meaning".

Examples: 1. Both "E" and "V" are used to stand for "voltage" in Ohm's Law.

2. Potential energy uses the symbols: "U"and "V".

3. Both the letters "x,y,z" and "i,j,k" are used to label coordination axes.

The "H" is used to mean the Hamiltonian operator in physics, but the enthalpy in thermodynamics. The point is, for many cases there is no significance to the choice of symbols, but sometimes there is. Even in those cases the "reason" is usually transparent, for example, the use of "e" for the charge on the electron.

Johanna,

I do not know for a fact why, but I expect the word "current" was not always used. It is possible that a term such as influx of charge was once used.

To use the first letter would cause problems because both charge and current start with the same letter. "q" for charge and "I" for current may have just been chosen because they look very different.