NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Magnetism and Gravitation
Name: Marksdale High School
Date: Thursday, August 22, 2002

Question:
Mine is simple I am just trying to remember the common formula shared by magnetic force and gravity, I teach an eleventh grade physics class and i would like to prove to them they to have the same formulas but unfortunately I cannot find or remember the formula. I appreciate any time you devote to this if any.

Marksdale High School,

The forces do not have the same formula. ELECTRIC force and gravitational force have the same kind of formula.
         Gravity:  F=G(m1)(m2)/r^2

Electric:  F=k(q1)(q2)/r^2

Both are proportional to 1/(distance-squared). With gravity, masses produce the force. With electric force, electric charges produce the force. Magnetic force depends on the motion of the charges as well as the amount of charge. If you look at the magnetic force between electric currents, the force is proportional to 1/distance, not 1/(distance-squared).