NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Candle in Jar
Name: janet
Date: Monday, December 02, 2002

Question:
I put a candle in water. The candle was burning. Then I put a jar over the candle. Then the candle went out and the water in the jar started to rise.

1.Why did the water rise?

As the air cooled, the pressure dropped on the inside, compared to the outside of the flask. The water was pushed up from the greater atmospheric pressure on the outside, to the inside of the flask.

2. Why did it stop at the level where it stopped?

This is temperature dependent of the air on the inside of the flask.

Unknown