NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Metals and Strong Magnetic Fields
Name: Steve R.

Question:
What metals are susceptible to a magnetic field. ie iron is and aluminum is not but what about platinum? I ask because I am shopping for a wedding ring and I work with very strong magnetic fields (NMR spectroscopy) (and I am embarrassed that I do not know).

Steve,

Iron, steel (an alloy of iron), nickel, and cobalt are attracted to a magnet. Platinum and all other precious metals are not attracted.

Extra information: Certain cookware that has aluminum encapsulated within the stainless steel on the bottom of the pan may be attracted to a magnet. However, the attraction is due to the composition of the stainless steel and not to the presence of the aluminum. Such a design is necessary if the pan is to be heated on an induction range. Such pans must have a bottom that is attractive to a magnet. If they do not, they will not get hot.

Platinum is not but nickel is. I would suggest that you take a strong permanent magnet to the jewelry store and test the wedding bands. The salespeople will not know about trace metals in wedding rings. The NdFe magnets are quite strong and would be very useful in determining magnetic content.

Dr. Harold Myron