NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Wormholes and Space-Time
Name: B. L.

Question:
Hi, I have been trying to get a firm hold of the whole wormhole idea (aka I am an amateur). I was thinking about how wormholes could connect regions of space, and thought, why not regions of time? Think about a tree turned upside down. the bark would be the mouth of the wormhole, and the ends of the many branches would be the other ends. Assume that the wormhole is at time '0', and everything to the left of the wormhole is in the past, and the right is the future (it makes more sense drawn on paper). So, if an object were inserted into the first mouth of the wormhole, which part of time would it appear in? And if so, would it exit through one end, or all of them? or would many duplicates be created? (Note one of my teachers rejected the idea of the copies being made because matter cannot be created nor destroyed) Thanks for reading this, and sorry if i was not clear.

Cool idea. I do not think anybody knows the answer, but I would guess no copies. Also, I would guess there would be something in normal space corresponding with every mouth.