NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Zero Point Energy
Name: Tal H.

Question:
About zero point energy, I was told it is possible to use it as a power source not far from today, is it true? I have also been told by a physics teacher that ZPE can be used NOW to build some kind of "back to the future" like hover board and that such a prototype has already been built, true or false?

If the answers to the questions are no , would you please shortly explain the current possible use of ZPE?

I know of no scientist who understands the laws of quantum mechanics who contends that zero point energy can be used as a source of energy. Zero point energy means what it says. There is no lower energy for the system to go. Zero point energy arises from the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. If a system is confined by some boundaries there is a limit on how well its position can be determined. This has nothing to do with experimental measurements, it is IN PRINCIPLE a limitation on the knowledge of its position. The product of the uncertainty in position and momentum is of the order of Planck's constant, h. Zero point energy has no "use" in the practical sense of the word, it is the consequence of quantum mechanics. One might as well ask what "use" does a wave function have?