NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Identifying Dimensions Beyond 4
Name: Koh Kek S.

Question:
I have read about the String Theory lately. One of the explanation of this theory notes that the universe is actually made up of nine dimensions altogether including our three spatial dimensions. It also gives information on how to discover the extra six dimensions through accelerators which requires a lot of energy. Well, I know that until now the energy acquired is not adequate to discover these dimensions yet. My question is: If there is enough energy to accelerate the particles one day until the extra dimensions can be discovered, how are the scientists going to be sure that those are the extra dimensions? I mean we cannot even imagine what or how do other dimensions look like besides our three spatial dimensions, how could possibly these dimensions be observed? And does the time considered as the fourth dimension in this theory, or has it been proven that time is really the fourth dimension? I am just an enthusiast in physics and I do hope that you would satisfy my inquisitive mind.

Koh Kek -

You ask good questions with only tentative answers. Perhaps we could best say that we do not know how to be sure we are sensing (creating?) an forth dimension, but we hope that when we do we will also discover a method to validate it. Not really a good answer, though.

My main reason for responding to your question is to suggest that you read a book entitled "Flatland" (if you have not already). It features creatures who live in two dimensions and explores their difficulty in understanding the third. It does sound like your situation!