NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Hot and Cold at 80 Degrees
Name: Al G.

Question:
I had a 9 year old ask me, "Why does 80 degree water feel cool, while 80 degree air feels warm?".

Al -

Your 9 year old has made a good observation. Something feels warm or cool to your body based on how much heat is moved in or out of your body. If both the water and the air are 80 degrees (both lower than body temperature) your body will give up more heat to change the temperature of the water than it gives up to the air. Because the water takes more heat from your body, it feels cooler.

There is more to the story, but that is about right for 9 years old.