NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Frequency and Energy Relation
Name: Margaret T.

Question:
Are energy and frequency related? What I mean by this is can a wave have a high frequency and low energy and if so what does this mean? Does this mean that since I know that energy and amplitude are proportional and amplitude and loudness are proportional that a wave can reach me quickly but be very quite or visa- versa?

This is a tricky question because it depends upon what kind of wave you mean. The energy of a "classical" sound wave is proportional to the square of the amplitude, i.e.: E = |A|^2. But at the atomic level that no longer applies and E = h*f where f is the frequency and h is Planck's constant, but that is electromagnetic waves at the quantum level. Now back to sound waves. "Loudness" is different. Loudness is our ear's (and brain's) response to a sound wave. This does depend on the amplitude of the wave, but it also depends upon the frequency. And if the sound is not a single frequency, the "loudness" depends upon the distribution of overtones of the fundamental (the 'pitch'). All of this "goes out the window" if you now mean a sonic boom, because now the "wave" is traveling faster than the speed of sound and the same physics does not apply. So the "answer" to your question has a lot of "ifs" attached.