NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Water Level and Ice Fishing
Name: Lon R.

Question:
The following question was recently posed by one of our employees here at Pinkston-Tadd, Inc. of DeKalb, Illinois: When ice fishing, a hole is bored or chopped into the ice to provide an opening for fishing. It was noted that once the hole has been bored deep enough to reach past the ice to water, water will rise up in the hole almost even with the top of the ice. The question is this: what causes the water level to rise in the hole to a level just below the top of the hole? We have asked several students from NIU, have tried searching the Internet, etc. Have returned with some interesting observations but am not convinced we have found an explanation grounded in science.

OK Here goes my "explanation". The level of a frozen lake prior to drilling establishes a balance of forces between the downward pressure (force/area) of the ice and the upward pressure of the water beneath. This balance is very complicated because as the ice freezes and the temperature is lowered the porosity of the soil underneath and other considerations come into play. But whatever the details there is an equilibrium of downward pressure of the ice and upward pressure of the liquid water below. When you bore a hole in the ice you have removed a certain volume of ice. This reduces the downward pressure of the ice by a force (pressure) equal to the weight of the volume of bored ice. To compensate for this reduced downward force there is an upward force equal to the weight of water equal to the volume of displaced ice. Since liquid water is about 10% more dense than ice at the freezing point the water will rise to reestablish the balance of upward and downward forces. So for a cylindrical hole the water should rise about 90% of the thickness of the ice. An application of Archimedes' Principle for ice fishers, maybe.

I believe the answer is very simple. Ice has a density of 917 kilograms/m^3 and water has a density of 1000 kg/m^3. Therefore, free floating ice is 91.7% under water. So if the ice where you chopped a hole is 10 inches thick, the water should come to within 0.83 inches of the top of the ice. That could well be considered "near the top of the hole".

Having lived in northern Wisconsin on the banks of the "Ol Wisconse", I have often chopped holes, sometimes when the ice was about 3 feet thick! As I recall, the water sometimes came out and covered the ice. I can only think that such thick ice in a rather narrow channel of the river was anchored to the shores so when the water level in the river rose, the ice was stuck and did not rise with the water. I do know that sometimes the water fell and the ice was much above the water level.

Best, Dick Plano...

Just like in your glass of ice water in the summer the ice is floating so that only a small fraction of it is out of the water. If you imagine yourself on one of the ice cubes in the drink and drill a hole through the ice the water will rise to nearly the top of the hole (the level of the water around it).

When you are ice fishing you the ice is floating on the lake water. It displaces the amount of water that weighs the same as the ice and anything it is supporting. Assuming you take the same amount of supplies (i.e., same weight) every time you go ice fishing, the amount of ice that remains above water is an indication of the thickness of the ice. The thicker the ice, the greater the height of the ice above the water.

Greg Bradburn