NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Impeach? (Impedance) in Electricity
Name: Michael S.

Question:
When talking about electrical conductors and the current which they carry- what does the word "impeach" refer to and what is the significance of this term? Would you please include some references for future reading?

I do not know that word in that context, but it would be very easy to hear "impeach" when someone says "impedance".

Sorry, Michael, I have never heard the word "impeach" used in an electrical context. However, when talking about current-carrying _ratings_ of wires, the general meaning of "impeach" might be relevant. The general meaning of impeach is to discredit, establish suspicion, or show probably cause for a judgement.

A "'current rating" is an assertion by some person that the wires will be safe from overheating, to a certain high degree, when carrying the mentioned or expected amount of current.

A skeptical reviewer, such as an electrical inspector, might find a particular reason that these assertions are not quite valid or that the degree of safety is not as high as claimed or required. One might say that these reasons impeach the claimed current rating, or impeach the electrical design as a whole.

In other words, someone thinks the current-carrying capacity is not high enough, and "impeach" is the word they used to say so.

Perhaps is you Google search for ["'current rating" impeach] you would find illuminating examples.

Michael,

Could you possibly have mistaken the word "impeach" for "impedance"? If you meant to ask about electrical impedance, here is a web site that gives a great definition:

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Impedance

Todd Clark, Office of Science
U.S. Department of Energy

I am not familiar with the term "impeach" used in the context of electrical circuits. Is it possible that "impedance" is term being referred to?